Friday 14 October 2011

Media Consumption.


I think it is relevant to explore how my audience would consume my music video. Giving that the 21st century is brimming with new technolgical advances, espically online my audience would most likely consume my video online, through site such as youtube, and one of my target audience memebers (Rachel Beaney) said this is how she watches and keeps up to date with new releases


I found this insigtful youtube video called 'Social Media Statistics & Facts 2011' and it highlights the power and popularity of social media.




"Nearly 2 hours of video is uploaded to youtube every every second" was a statistic that really stuck out to me as it shows how easy and popluar it is to be a producer of media, not just a consumer. One can then share their work, or others work using other social networking sites such as Facebook and Twitter, and this can lead to a worldwide phenomenom.


Another thing I find interesting is that the video is made in Australia so it is very biased, especially when it labels Australia as the number 1 prolific user of social media in the world.

It surprised me to realise that Myspace is no longer popular, with users "cutting ties and fleeing to other social sites" such as Facebook and Twitter. I decided to do further research to find out why this is the case and found this really interesting article - 3 Reasons why Myspace has lost popularity

Twitter has become a huge phenomena. It was created in March 2006 by Jack Dorsey and launched that July. Twitter rapidly gained worldwide popularity, with 200 million users as of 2011, generating over 200 million tweets and handling over 1.6 billion search queries per day. Daily user estimates vary as the company does not publish statistics on active accounts. As a user of Twitter myself, I find that I do not use it as much as Facebook and I think many of my friends would agree. A lot of people my age that I know prefer to use Facebook and some don't even have Twitter accounts.

I found a article on the Gaurdian Business Blog that explores the "increase in number of hours public spends watching TV, playing video games and using the internet"
The Gaurdian - Article


The pie chart below shows what online sites are most popular for sharing information, such as music videos.
If I was creating my music video for a company, I would create many pages on social networking sites, such as a fan page on facebook, and this would most likely increase the popularity of my music video.

No comments:

Post a Comment